Cupcake Wars


Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The other week Jared and I decided to do a cupcake war of our own. In Georgetown, there are 3 prominent bakeries that we decided to enter into the contest waging between our two judgmental mouths. The contenders were as follows: Georgetown Cupcake, Sprinkles, and Baked & Wired. Unfortunately, Georgetown had a line waaay too long to stand in with a wiggleworm toddler, so we had to skip it. Although we didn't get Georgetown that day, we have had it times prior and considered our impressions substantial enough to be able to contend. And the winner in our book is... dun, dun un DUN - SPRINKLES! Yes, Sprinkles still came out on top. Why it wins in our book:

Density - both the cake and frosting are just heavy enough to let you savor each bite. Georgetown - too airy and whipped. B&W - cake too generic tasting and not enough frosting for size of cake
Flavor - perfect amount of not too overpowering but definitely a lingering taste. Georgetown - totally wins on flavor, just not overall.
Size - not too big, not too small. Georgetown - too small. Baked & wired - too big? I hate calling a cupcake too big, because really? can there be something as too big a cupcake? I don't think so. But Sprinkles just nails it
Price - Georgetown charges too much for their size {smaller than Sprinkles}, B&W - $4 a bit pricey for me, Sprinkles - reasonable. PLUS both Georgetown and Sprinkles offer a secret word each day that if you "whisper" to the cupcake lady you get it for free. DOUBLE bonus for Jared and me.

Basically, what this sums up to is this contest of ours gave me a reason to eat 2 cupcakes in 5 minutes. Maybe next should be an ice creamery contest? :)

16 comments:

  1. Bah those look so amazing! You should definitely do it again with ice cream! xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will :) ice cream is my biggest weakness. Butter pecan is my fav.. Mmmm!!

      Delete
  2. We have nothing even remotely close to that. :( No cool cupcake shops.
    Ooh, and did you do your web design or did someone do it for you? I am looking to have mine redesigned and I like yours a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sprinkles is AMAZING! I went to the shop in Chicago recently and was totally blown away! So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha this is great! i'm really into this food contest idea.. i think i should maybe do the best burrito in socal :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so in love with quint cupcake shops! it's always fun to try new flavors for the first time :) those you posted look divine!

    xo amanda @ http://mamawatters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! This is like the best experiment ever! I'm so jealous you have all 3 of those bakeries. Super cool!

    - Sarah
    agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes to the ice creamery next! Those cup cakes have me drooling a little over here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness to cute!!!! I love Sprinkles Cinnamon Sugar one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. surprisingly that's the ONE cupcake i've never tried at Sprinkles. I guess I'm a frosting girl. Is it that good? I'll have to give it a try :)

      Delete
  9. Kendra! This is so fun! I love the looks of the sprinkles version. It's amazing how cupcakes are all the rage these days. They are a lot easier I think for parties and the likes of those things.

    Okay new blog design again! I love it! Very sweet and simple, indicative of you I'm sure. :). Take care

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can't resist changing it up. I get so antsy, especially when I learn something new with html :)

      Delete
  10. I've been dying to go to Georgetown to try out the cupcakes, Have you tried the place in Fairfax Corner? They have a great red velvet and if you go after 7pm cupcakes are normally half off :-)

    How do you find out the secret word for the cupcake lady?

    We are going to San Fran in a few days and our hotel is next to the BEST cupcake place I have ever tasted in my life. Even with my dairy allergy I may just splurge on a cupcake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wait how do you find out the word???

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is my kind of contest! Yes, ice cream next!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your site. I found it when you had commented on my site...Confessions-of-a-lazy-mom.blogspot.com. My friend and I started a new site....with your love of all things sweet, thought you might be interested. Check it out. tcchallenges.blogspot.com.

    Hope your doing well.
    C

    ReplyDelete