The tale of the superman shirt


Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I'm not a graphic tee person, nor a comic book fan. But I'll be darned if I don't have a love affair with that superman shirt! Jared and I were both 14 when I started crushing on him real hard. We were at a church dance when he was wearing this bright superman shirt with a puka shell necklace (you know there was a day when those things were cool), when I went all Noah Calhoun on him and thought "when I see something I really like.. I gotta...I love it!" I totally wanted to snap a shot with him but was too shy to ask to have our picture taken, so one of my friends took this candid and gave it to me a couple days later in an exchange between our lockers. That was in 2002. That photo has traveled with me so many different places, most notably on a cruise ship in the Caribbean with my friend when my giddy (but probably on the more creepy side) self kissed it every night. So obviously the logo of the flying hero has a soft spot in my heart.

Before Warner was born I was searching the racks of H&M when I found this superman shirt and I had to get it. Now my little boy is big enough to wear it and I can't tell you how big my cheeks stretch when  I see these two wearing their blues together. I now have two supermen. SOMEONE PINCH ME! Dreams do come true.

13 comments:

  1. so cute! Love your little superman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the do! Dreams come true :) Wanna read my story?
    My mum always dreamt of dating a black man. I always wanted a blonde-blue-eyed boy to marry me.
    She ended marrying a red-haired one and I am married to the black man.
    Weird, but her dream came true in my person. Maybe one day my daughter will marry my blonde-blue-eyed boy, ha!
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we also talk about how it's the best that guys keep their t's? Like obviously this is an important one but seriously for whatever reason there's just such a sense of familiarity in an old & well loved T that you remember him dating you in!! I recently came across a pic of mike (pre-us) wearing a T that he still has to this day - the picture was 11 years old and I loved how I was looking at the same person :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the cutest story ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome. You're so lucky your friend took that picture! It's a real treasure now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We totally have that kiddo shirt from H&M. My husband is a comic book fanatic, so we have quite a few superhero shirts in my son's wardrobe.

    What a sweet story. Yay for love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love superman, as well and this is an adorable story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little Warner is seriously one of the cutest little guys I've ever seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you guys have known each other for so long. Although you're still so young so.... :) What a great story and post. Your husband is so cute. Even cuter now... :) Love to you Kendra,

    Shauna xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, kendra, this story is the cutest! i love that you saved that photo and now have the one with jared and warner and their superman shirts. so sweet! it is seriously posts like this in the blog world that make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so lovely. I think it's really cute when things have a real meaning behind them.
    And I know that "pinch me" feeling only too well. x

    ReplyDelete